Early 18th Century William Howell did Evangelistic work in Cuddapah (YSR Kadapa) and Kurnool Districts. In 1842 the Anglican Diocese of Madras accepted the Nandyal area. In 1922, Bishop Whitehead of Madras Diocese (CIBC) transferred Nandyal Anglican area to Bishop of Dornakal, Bishop Azaraiah. Nandyal SPG area was in the Diocese of Calcutta of CIPBC from 1947 to 1963. Nandyal Anglican area was formed as a Diocese on 29th April, 1963 during the Episcopacy of the Rt .Rev. C. W. Venkatramaiah in CIPBC. When the Rt.Rev. Ernest John as the Bishop in Nandyal it joined in the CNI on 29th November, 1970. During the time of CNI Moderator’s Commissary, the Rt.Rev.R.S.Bhandare, Nandyal Diocese joined in the Church of South India on 6th July, 1975. The Rt. Rev. Pabbathi John was the first CSI Nandyal Diocesan Bishop in 1977 .